Thursday, April 21, 2011

oh crap!

So last night I went down to the basement to water the seedlings and I found a disappointing sight.  The impatients that I had planted in the sponges that came with the Bio Domes were all rotting and there was a slight mold mold growing on the sponge.  The rot was right where the stem met the sponge.  A number of them are lost, but I hope I saved a bunch.  I re-potted them and pulled most of the sponge away from the roots.  I got thinking about this later and I remembered that I had turn off the de-humidifier the other day.  I am thinking that the air was too damp down there which cause this problem.  I am also hoping that this mold does not spread to other plants.  I did make sure to keep all the impatients close to one another and none of them are sharing water with any other plants.  Really this whole thing has be baffled.  I have never had this type of a problem in the past.  I have had issues with tomatoes in the past, but not like this.  Anyways, lesson learned and I hope I was able to salvage a good number of plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment